Finally Finished River System!

After much procrastination and so many JOSM conflicts ITS DONE!

(for now)

I have uploaded my major rivers and the lake to OGF. I'm so satisfied to finally see something on my map! There is still a lot of refining to do, but at this point, I think that I should save the most detailed edits for when I'm building towns and cities along these rivers. 

I detailed some of the process in Inkscape in my last post, but I'll briefly cover the rest here. I imported my SVG file into JOSM and scaled it to match the country, and placed it as well as I could. Next, I went literally river by river, connecting them to each other and to the ocean as needed. This revealed lots of odd elements from Inkscape, like overlapping loops, etc that had to be deleted or altered to make sense. It was really fun to be able to scale, rotate, and move each river into position. It's almost like playing in a sandbox, and so fun to imagine the topography as you place each river. At this point, I'm forgoing creating an actual topographic map so the rivers are defining the topography of my country. After finally finishing editing, I had so much trouble uploading to OGF. Since I had been working on this for so long (read: a tiny amount each week for a long time), the data downloaded from OGF was out of date and contained "conflicts" with the newest OGF data on the site. This was solved through much googling and JOSM help page-reading. And here we are!

What's next? I want to define land cover and add detail to the coastline first. I have vague ideas of where to place national parks/forests and some marine reserves. I'm going to make a post soon outlining my plans for political organization and the economy. The major natural resources in the country (spoiler: marine products, grain crops, wool, and timber/forest products) will define where production is and therefore where people live & work.

Screenshot of mid-edit in JOSM, everything is all mashed up and overlapping when you first import the SVG file. I selected all and tagged everything as a river. I also had to make sure they were flowing in the right direction as I went along.


Screenshot of the final rivers in JOSM. 

A bit of what it looks like now in OGF. 

Stay tuned!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revised Elevation Map

River Refining + Mountain Range Design